This apricot jam is not only fun to make but also delicious. With my large family, I love saving money. Making my jams is a favorite pastime I share with my children. Nothing beats fresh jam on toasted Italian Bread!
- 8 cups fresh apricots – peeled, pitted, and crushed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 cups white sugar
- Combine the apricots with lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves. Cook and stir the mixture for about 25 minutes. If necessary, remove from heat and skim any foam.
- Prepare jars, lids, and rings while you wait. Clean and sterilize them in the dishwasher, or boil water bath. Keep the covers in simmering hot water until you seal the jars.
- Hot jam should be poured into sterilized jars. Run a knife or thin spatula along the jars’ interiors to remove air bubbles once they are filled. Wipe the jars’ rims with a damp paper towel to remove food residue. Screw on rings and cover with lids.
- Fill a large stockpot with enough water to cover a rack. Bring the water to a boil. Then, carefully place the jars in the pot by using a holder. Leave a 2-inch gap between them. Add more boiling water as needed until the water level reaches at least 1 inch above the tops of jars. Bring the water to a boil. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place the jars in the stockpot, a few inches apart, on a wood or cloth-covered surface until they cool. After cooling, gently press each lid with your finger to ensure it seals tightly and does not move. Keep in a dark, cool place.